Friday, July 11, 2014

Silent Practice - Anchor Chart

I love teaching recorder! Last year I developed an anchor chart similar to this one in order to help my students develop good independent rehearsal skills for those times in class when I need to hear a small group of students rather than the whole class.  When I am working with a small group I remind everyone to "go through their check list".  

Before expecting them to be independent at this I demonstrate with a sort of silent practice "think aloud".  I want them to get used to thinking of their recorder method book as a non-fiction text. Before setting them loose, I make sure thry know where to find the places in the book where certain rhythms are introduced as well as where their note name chart and fingering chart exist. 
Ocassionally I take grades on how they practice. Even when we practice "outloud" we refer to the chart

I noticed this year that my recorder classes were MUCH more productive and students were on task much more often because I was able to give them clear expectations about what to do when they need to be occassionally quiet.  

1 comment:

  1. This is great! I am always looking for ideas for new anchor charts. This will be great for those kids who can't remember HOW to practice. Ooh! I could make small ones for the kids to take home for when they are practicing as homework. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete